Have you ever seen someone or experienced yourself when carrying a leather bag that is full and starts to stretch until it reaches its elasticity limit?That is the time when you see those wrinkle type marks on your old leather bag. But it is simple with the bag, you just discard it and buy a new one. But your skin is a totally different story, you cannot discard it. Your skin is composed of elastin which can be imagined as a soft elastic tissue. It is stretchable, supple and soft, but it too has its own limits. Some situations exert extra pressure on your skin such as rapid growth of your body during teenage, sudden weight or gainloss and pregnancy. Sometimes while exercising, you can stretch your body out of its limits. When you do that you will get those thick purple or red lines on your skin which is widely known as stretch marks. Gradually these lines become white or silvery white in color and fade away but they won’t go away on their own. You have to put efforts to remove these stretch marks. Here are 10 home remedies that will help you remove those stretch marks.
Natural Remedies to Remove Stretch Marks
1. Lemon Juice to Remove Stretch Marks
Lemons have been know as fine natural bleaching agents beyond doubt. The vitamin C and alpha hydroxy acids (AHA) in lemons can efficiently make your stretch marks disappear fast and remove the dead skin.
• 1 lemon
• Warm water- to wash off
• Cut the lemon in half.
• Gently rub your stretch marks with a half piece of lemon.
• You will feel it’s juice soaking into your skin.
• Do this for at least 10 minutes.
• Then wash it off with warm water.
You can mix lemon juice with other ingredients in equal quantities (for example 1tbsp lemon juice with 1 tbsp other juice), to make it a superfast remedy for stretch marks:
• Lemon juice with tomato juice.
• Lemon juice with potato juice
• Lemon juice with cucumber juice
2. Drink Water for Hydrated Skin to Aid Removal of Stretch Marks
If your skin is not always full of suppleness and hydrated there is no remedy that will work more effectively. Drink enough water meaning 8-10 glasses a day! Not only hydrated skin restores its elasticity but it also detoxifies your body.
3. Apricot Mask to Remove Stretch Marks
Apricot scrub is used by many people for rapid removal of stretch marks from their skin. However, wewill give you the recipe of a mask made from apricot that you have to apply on your stretch marks every day for at least a month or more.
• 2 or 3 apricots
• Enough lukewarm waterto wash off your skin having marks.
• Cut open the apricots and remove their seeds.
• Crush the fruits to get their paste.
• Apply this apricot paste gently on your stretch marks.
• Leave it to work for about 15-20 minutes.
• Then wash it off with warm water.
• Repeat daily (you can do it twice a day) for a month.
4. Potato Juice to Remove Stretch Marks
This is one of the fastest andcheapest home remedies for stretch marks. Potato is a super food due to its many components like essential fatty acids and a variety of phytochemicals, like polyphenols and carotenoids. It is also full of minerals and vitamins including magnesium, VitaminC, B-complex, phosphorus,potassium, zinc and calcium. Because a potato is capable of stimulating elastin and collagen synthesis, it can effectively fade away your stretch marks and restore your skin cells.
• 1 medium sized potato
• Lukewarm water enough to wash off
• Cut the potato into thick sized slices.
• Rub it gently over your stretch marks with a slice. Ensure to apply its juice all over your marks.
• Leave it on to do its magic for 5-10 minutes.
• Wash it off with lukewarm water.
5. Aloe Vera to Remove Stretch Marks
Very popular now among the fans of home remedies are the benefits of aloe vera. This herb contains collagen which excellently and very successfully repairs human skin. Use, as many times as you need, the fresh aloe gel taken from the leaves instead of using store bought gel.
• Aloe vera leaf
• Dethorn the aloe vera leaf and remove its outer skin.
• Take out the sticky gel from the inside of the leaf.
• Apply this fresh aloe gel gently on your stretch marks.
• Now leave it and forget about it for two hours.
• After couple of hours wash it off with water.
6. Alfalfa to remove Stretch Marks
Rich in vitamins K and E,amino acids, this herbis used by many, to fade the marks away. As they are said to be great skin toners you may also give it a try.
• 1 teaspoon ofAlfalfa powder
• Few drops of chamomile oil, enough to make paste
• Mix chamomile oil with alfalfa powder and mix well.
• Apply the paste to your stretch marks.
• Leave it applied for 15 minutes.
• Wash it off with water.
• Do this three times a day.
7. Oils to Remove Stretch Marks
Natural oils are excellent emollients and they have this capacity to treat all hair and scalp problems as also skin issues including stretch marks. The first thing you need to do is identify the right type of oil for the very purpose. For about half an hour daily you should gently massage your skin having stretch marks with oil. However, just applying oils to the marks (something near to soaking them in oil) can also do wonders. If doing so, you need to apply oil about 3 to 4 times a day. Olive oil, with all its loads of nutrients and antioxidant properties, is considered as one of the best oils for removing stretch marks but there are many other oils that you can use. The following oils are also good when it comes to curing stretch marks. Here is the list.
• Helichrysum oil
• Olive oil
• Lavender oil
• Geranium oil
• Chamomile oil
• Rose oil
• Frankincense oil
• Myrrh oil
The best solution is to mix the best oils for you and then apply to the marks. Here’s the recipe.
• ½ teaspoon oflavender oil
• ½ teaspoon ofchamomile oil
• 2 teaspoon ofalmond oil (or avocado oil, jojoba oil etc.)
• Mix almond oil,lavenderand chamomile.
• Mix them all together well.
• Apply this oil mix on your stretch marks every day.
• Do this preferably thrice or four times a day.
8. Cocoa- Shea Butter Homemade Cream to Remove Stretch Marks
If you are full of all those stretch marks removal creams available in the stores and bigger markets, you should make your own at home. You’ll be using some very commonly available ingredients,that are most skin friendly for this home made cream like:vitamin E oil,cocoa butterand Shea butter. The natural emollient and antioxidants properties of cocoa butter lends it excellent moisturizing ability which penetrates fast and deep into the skin repairing it from the inside and removing the stretch marks. The fatty acids of Shea butter, used by Africans since ages, aids cocoa butter in repairing the skin further. Shea butter can be absorbed by the skin very fast because it melts at body temperature. Vitamin E in your cream is a powerful antioxidant which will assist its natural wound healing process and penetrate through the layers of your skin while removing the scars on it.
• 2 teaspoon ofcocoa butter
• 2teaspoon ofshea butter
• 1 teaspoon ofVitamin E oil
• Melt the cocoa butter andShea butter.
• To the melted butters,add vitamin E oil.
• Mix thoroughly.
• Store it in a container.
• Once it cools down the cream will get into solid state.
Each time when you apply this cream on your stretch marks, it will melt as soon as it comes in contact with your skin. Apply this cream at least two times a day after having bath.
9. Egg Whites to Remove Stretch Marks
With the fact that egg white contains 40 different proteins,you can understand why it is so useful for skin health. Egg whites are also rich in vitamin A and collagen and thus can treat burns or scars too effectively. So go ahead with this remedy and apply egg white on your stretch marks.
Procedure: • By separating the yolk from the egg take out the egg white.
• Beat the egg white a little with a fork
• Apply it on your stretch marks.
• Leave it to work for 15 minutes
• Wash it off with water.
Apply some oil (like olive oil) or moisturizer after you dry the area.
10. Eat Well to Remove Stretch Marks
You also need to keep your skin well nourished, apart from keeping it well hydrated. Lack of nutrients inside your body can never give you the full benefits of lotions, creams, masks,oils or any other thing that you apply externally on your skin.
- Have a good amount of proteins every day. Egg whites, beans, yogurt,fish, nuts and seeds like those of squash and watermelon seeds,pumpkin, peanuts, almonds etc.
- To encourage growth of skin tissues consume foods high in Vitamin E and C. Dark leafy greens, papaya, peppers, guavas, broccoli, gooseberries, strawberries,orangesare high in vitamin C. Kale, wheat,spinach, nuts, olive oil, tropical fruits like kiwi and papaya are rich in Vitamin E.
- During your pregnancy consumenuts and seeds rich in mineral content (especially zinc). This tones up your skin well.
- Obesity can cause stretching of the skin giving you those ugly stretch marks, soavoid saturated fats in your diet as they make you gain weight.